Sweet potato kale salad is perfect for a relaxed dinner with friends and family. It’s also a wonderful meal to prepare for any party or gathering you have this fall season!
Sweet Potato Kale Salad With Hot Ginger Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 2 to 4 people
Are you looking for a delicious salad with a smoky twist? This smoky sweet potato with ginger and kale salad is packed with flavor. The roasted smoky sweet potato is the component, of course. However, its flavor is enriched even more by the hot ginger dressing. The vinaigrette is warm and full of savory goodness — truly ideal for the fall! You no longer have to stick solely to pumpkin dishes to celebrate the change in seasons.
On top of that, the sweet potato and kale salad includes complimenting flavors from the sweet potatoes and kale. The vegetable has a strong taste but is subdued by the warm dressing. In fact, massaging the dressing removes the bitterness of the kale almost entirely.
In addition, the recipe is not too difficult to make. Just chop up the sweet potatoes and roast them with garlic and other ingredients. You can prepare the kale and hot ginger dressing separately. You can always pair it with other dishes like roasted salad or sourdough slices if you make too much dressing. Adding roasted pepitas or any other nuts to the roasted sweet potato salad introduces texture and a nutty flavor.
Ideally, you should prepare the ingredients for this kale and sweet potato salad ahead of time. However, you can make them quickly, even on a busy schedule. They also last a long time — even after cooking. Simply put them in the fridge, and they’ll still be good to eat after a while. Just make sure to store them properly.
Can’t wait to recreate this kale & sweet potato salad? It’s great for a family get-together or a fall festival. Here’s the recipe below.
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 2 or 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into one- or half-inch cubes
- 1 or 2 bunches of Tuscan or curled green kale without stems, torn into pieces of 6 to 8 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of roasted pepitas
- (Optional) furikake seasoning
Hot Ginger Dressing
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or red wine
- 1 small shallot or red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a nonstick baking sheet. Spread the sweet potatoes and drizzle in olive oil or spray. Toss the mixture. In a bowl, stir in some garlic powder, smoked paprika, kosher salt, chili powder, and pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes evenly. Toss well.
- Put the sweet potatoes in the oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes. Use a fork to check if it’s tender enough.
- Make the dressing as the sweet potatoes roast. Heat a saucepan with medium to low heat. Add sesame oil. Once hot enough, add in the shallot and a pinch of salt. Let it cook for 2 minutes. Mix in the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 more minutes. Lower the heat and whisk the soy sauce, honey, and vinegar. Mix the olive oil until it emulsifies.
- Wash the kale and place them in a bowl. Get one or two tablespoons of the dressing and drizzle it on top. Wash your hands and massage the kale with the dressing for a few minutes. Make sure all its leaves are well coated. Let the mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes to reduce the kale’s bitterness.
- Once the potatoes finish roasting, add them to the bowl of kale. Drizzle more dressing and add pepitas on top. You can also sprinkle in some furikake seasoning for added flavor.
Smoky, Hot, and Delicious
This crunchy and savory roasted sweet potato kale salad fills the stomach and the heart when shared with all your loved ones. It’s also a great dish if you want to eat nutritious meals and have a balanced diet. Remember to try them out this fall season!
You Can Also Read These: